Monday, August 5, 2013

Catching Up

I was talking to my sister last night, who was telling me funny tales of a trip she recently took with her family and my mom to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. As she wrapped up her storytelling, she asked me why I hadn't been blogging lately. I told her that I really didn't have a reason, but I have noticed that blogs can be a funny thing. I guess it's kinda like keeping your house clean. If you pick up after yourself every day, maybe wipe down the counters (or toilet seats, as the case may be), things look fine and you can probably go a while without doing any sort of deep clean (this system basically completely describes my whole attitude towards house cleaning). However, if you neglect it, you end up having to spend the entire day cleaning the crap out of it. In that same sense, if you stay caught up on your blogs, you can tell short little tales, but if you go too long, then comes the arduous task of having to invest a whole lot of time getting caught up. Now don't think I'm going to write a novel tonight (OK, I might), rather, my job is to now mentally go through the last week or so and try to dig up some of the highlights. I have no organizational plan going into this particular posting, so let's just dive into my own personal stream of consciousness (in no particular order).

Alright, so the day after tomorrow marks two weeks here in Chennai. I'd like to say something lame like, "boy, the time sure has flown by," but that would be a lie. Time has most certainly not flown by. Or perhaps, "time flies when you're having fun," but that wouldn't really apply either. Has it been fun? For sure. Nearly every day has brought with it new knowledge and new experiences and new adventures. One thing people like to talk about is the whole "honeymoon" phase of living overseas. And you know what? It's not that I feel like I'm in that place either. My life isn't blissfully fun, but it certainly doesn't suck. Am I happier here than back home? Yes and no, but if I had to choose, I can honestly say I'd rather be here. That's not a put-down to anyone back in CA or otherwise, but really, I feel like I'm on the verge of greatness. I feel like these last two weeks have really set the stage for what are sure to be some major life changes and personal growth. In my 12 or so days in Chennai, here's what I feel I've accomplished:

* I'm settled into my apartment
* I know my neighborhood fairly well (via getting lost a sufficient number of times)
* I've learned about how the tuk-tuk system of transport works
* I've laid the groundwork for great relationships with my bosses (they like to be called "colleagues")
* I've made some really solid friendships with a few people in particular
* I've gotten used to (and even still enjoy) the food (but don't ask me to tell you what any of them are called, because even though I've eaten certain things repeatedly and seen their titles on little serving placards, I still have no clue)
* I've survived a mountain of trainings, meetings, etc. without losing my mind
* I've gone to parties and shown people that Ben Knight likes to have a good time (but haven't made an ass out of myself by, say: passing out on a couch while snoring and wearing an eye patch, running home from a bar barefoot, or even sleeping on a sidewalk in SF wearing a Karate Kid Cobra Kai gi)
* I've established myself as equal parts clown and other parts motivated, curious and (somewhat) knowledgeable teacher
* I've found the city's largest mall and a salon with the Indian Edward Scissor Hands to cut my hair (seriously, this dude did a fade all with scissors...craziest haircut I've ever gotten, but also one of the best)
* I've hired a maid and a tuk-tuk driver
* I've gotten back into a fitness routine that will hopefully get me back down to size (pun intended)
* I successfully found the "Art of Living" yoga/meditation studio and enrolled myself into a Sudarshan Kriya intensive meditation course that starts tomorrow (tonight was our intro class)
* And finally, I haven't pissed anyone off yet (that I know of)

Wow, that's a lot! It actually makes me look quite accomplished, huh? Impressed? I don't need to ask. I know you are.

So yeah, I'd have to say that I'm pretty settled in. But tomorrow, tomorrow is the moment we've all been waiting for...the first day of school!!

I was joking with some fellow teachers the other night that you couldn't blame any of us if we thought for a moment that we weren't even here to work. Seriously, the whole first week was spent partying BALLS, and ever since then (last Tuesday), it's been spent going to meetings and trainings (talk about a brutal 180). LOTS of meetings and trainings. And I shit-you-not, we even had an hour-long meeting about meetings!! Most of them have been quite informative, but that one was a killer. I seriously wanted to jump out the window that day.

Most of the meetings have been more informative in nature, about procedures, programs and what-not. A big focus has been on the whole "Reader's Workshop" approach to teaching reading that I wrote about a while back. It certainly is an interesting concept, and I'm not sure I agree with it 100%, but in this case, I'm definitely going to "drink the Kool-Aid" and see it through to fruition. Again, I came here to expose myself to different ways of doing things, and since they place so much emphasis on this (and how great it is), I figure I might as well go "all in" and see how the kids and I do along the way.

Although that's been a big talking point, it's funny, because the rest of the school day is a little more loose. Nobody has said a word about the math program, but that's clearly because nobody's proud of it. Going against everything revolutionary in education, the school actually has the "Everyday Math" curriculum, which I think is a little bit humiliating for them. It's similar to anything you'd find in the states (read: lame), and it sounds like people are kind of all over the place in terms of its administration. They also have a spelling program called "Words Their Way" which is a developmental approach to spelling. It gets pretty mixed reviews, but again, there's nothing creative about it. Kids kind of settle into a routine and teachers don't sound like they're particularly involved with that process. Again, since it's not cutting-edge, the school certainly isn't touting it, but, it doesn't sound like it's horrible either. My co-worker, Becky (late 50's Malaysian woman who's been at AISC for all of its 17 years) asked me if I wanted to look the book over today. I said, "Sure. I'll get to that right after I read the "Reader's Workshop book, the "Writer's Workshop" book, and study the math curriculum."

Seriously, what's been thrown my way in terms of how they do things at the school is truly mind-boggling. You might think that someone like me with such control issues would be dying right now, but I guess there's something to be said for the fact that I've basically (ok, completely) spontaneously taught every single day of my teaching career. Tomorrow's just another day (but with really rich kids). I've also utilized the "I'm going to shut down mentally now and go read MSNBC for a while" coping strategy when I do feel overwhelmed (and that seems to work really well). Am I going to get to continue in my lackadaisical ways? Absolutely not. But, keep in mind that I work with a co-teacher for 90 minutes a day (during reading and writing) AND have 90 minutes per day of prep time. Oh, and did I mention that I have a teacher's aide? A real teacher's aide, and not some half-dead middle schooler who drags ass through my door only to slump themselves down into a chair and take 50 minutes to do something I could do in five. Seriously, this girl is awesome. She'll do whatever I ask her to do. Whatever. No, kidding. But, she'll run copies, correct papers, and get me coffee. Seriously, pretty much whatever. It's amazing. The other day she asked me what she could do to help, and I answered like a guy who has never had an ounce of help in his life. I just stared at her and said, "I don't know. What do you want to do?" An hour later, she had created a welcome sign, put up like four bulletin boards, and organized my closet. It's like having a magic genie!

So yeah, school is upon me and I'm feeling pretty good. I lost a kid today, so I'm down to 13 (which is a story in and of itself...but basically they pulled this kid out of my class and put him in with a younger female teacher. They gave me one story and her another, and after letting it eat away at me for about an hour, I went and had a conversation with the principal to clear the air. It was rather professional of me, I must say. Only something that 35-year-old Ben was capable of accomplishing...not something I probably would have done five years ago. There was a somewhat decent explanation, but then again, why should I argue with having 13 kids instead of 14?). In all, I think I have: four Koreans, two Japanese, four Americans, one British, one Italian, and one French kid. Now THIS is an international school. I basically have a mini United Nations...how cool is that?! Tomorrow should be a really interesting day. I need to work on my Indian "head bobble" and my Asian bow, as both are huge in the respective cultures (I practice the head bobble all the time...don't quite have it mastered. If you don't know what I mean, it kind of looks like they're shaking their heads "no," but really, it's a yes. SUPER confusing, but once you know what they're doing, it's actually SUPER funny). One teacher told me that the Japanese kids aren't even going to want to look me in the eye for fear of disrespecting me. I'm not having any of that. Tell you what, give me a few months with them and I'll turn those fools out. I'll have them popping their collars, doing the "Crip Walk, " using sarcasm effectively and all sorts of hilariousness. I can't wait.

Alright, I promised I wouldn't write a novel. One paragraph more and that's what it'll be, so I'll stop there (Wait, what? It's already a novel?! Dang it, I hate it when that happens). Wish me luck tomorrow, and don't be afraid to drop me a line sometime! (benknight27@gmail.com) or you can just inbox me on FB. I go on there...occasionally...

So remember, while you're off having pleasant dreams, I'm in there hopefully teaching the class of my dreams. Think good thoughts for me!

Ben


No comments:

Post a Comment