Thursday, September 12, 2013

Raining On My Parade

My new strategy from today on is that rather than committing myself to epics, I'll instead focus on some smaller stories. It's really the same as we ask our kids to do in class. The first unit we teach is personal narratives, and the beginning of that is always picking a "small moment" and then adding detail to that as to not overwhelm the reader. That's not to say that I'll always keep it concise, but I think by going into it knowing that I'm not requiring myself to sit at the keyboard for an hour, maybe I'l be able to post more often. We'll see how that goes...

So today's Friday, and everyone loves a good Friday (especially when the school is hosting a 2.5 hour cocktail party at The Westin after school). However, in keeping with the yin and the yang, we had to start our day off with a pretty intense parent meeting. In the meeting there were two principals, two counselors, two teachers, one translator, two angry parents and two very confused and probably very nervous children. The student is mine, and we weren't meeting for anything bad per se, but rather because they want to move their 9.5 year old (with very little English) up to sixth grade. The problem (for them) was that absolutely nobody at the table agreed with them. He's a very bright kid, but we just have too many concerns about his developmental growth. It was definitely a tense situation, but in the end, the decision was made to keep him with me. Going into the meeting, I had a plan. Yesterday was a really fun day for the kids, and as such, there were lots of smiles. I snapped a few great pics of the class yesterday and came to the meeting prepared with my (hopeful) "ace in the holes..." two pics of their son surrounded by his peers with a huge smile on his face. As the meeting concluded and the parents were probably at their most upset, I pulled out the pictures and told them that despite the fact we had differences of opinion, I wanted them to look at these pictures of their son lying on the floor with his friends and tell me that he wasn't happy and wasn't learning. I went on to say that I took issue with them calling his placement in my class "a punishment." I explained that this is my 14th year teaching, and that I was recruited by this, an amazing school. I told the dad that I didn't think his saying that was personal, but that it was offensive. I consider his son to be very lucky to be at this school, in my class and that even though there was nothing more we could say that would ease his frustration, I would always look out for his son's best interest and take good care of him. It was the first time in the meeting where dad had nothing to say.

I walked out feeling good about my "closing." I got a vigorous handshake from my boss and some "good work/good jobs" from others and was feeling quite victorious. When I left the office with my Indian co-teacher, I was pointing out how great it was that that was the one time where dad had nothing to say. Consider it giving myself a little pat on the back. When I was done being proud of myself, she turned and said to me, "I think he was only quiet because he didn't understand a word you said" (I beg to differ).



1 comment: